Monday, March 29, 2010

Deposed of, Disposed of

Deposed last week for the very first time in my life and in that five grueling hours, I learned a lot.

I learned why lawyers have generally earned the reputation of being smarmy sub-humans.

I learned that intimidation, browbeating, manipulation, and bullying is understood to be an important part of “questioning” in legal proceedings.

I learned that, five days later, though I may still be smarting from what felt like emotional molestation, it’s just all in a day’s work for counsel.

I learned that it’s hard not to be contemptuous of a legal system in which bullying witnesses is ordinary part of establishing the “truth”.

I learned you don’t have to be particularly brainy to be a lawyer, just driven and at least mildly sadistic.

I learned that our legal system could probably do with some reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment